Growing with our Community
55 years after Dr. Ford sponsored the Ovid Free Library’s move from Mama Bear, we have outgrown our space. We are challenged to meet the needs of all those using the Library for books, programs, story times, computer use, and quiet reading. The Library is a community center that is now bursting at the seams, programs for children and adults, a local history collection that is growing and attracting researchers, and overlapping meetings that face space conflicts. The number of people needing computer access exceeds our current capacity. To serve our patrons we need an improved elevator, more rooms for programs, meetings and study, safer stairways, and additional bathrooms.
Resources:Main Brochure Youth Programs Pledge Card Naming Opportunities Landscape Plan Full Blueprints FAQ & More
With the purchase of the adjacent property, we will be able to plan for a two-story addition to include:
- A large room for children with room for their growing book collection, space for story times and programs, craft storage and a kitchenette.
- Three smaller rooms for meetings, tutoring, consultation and classes.
- An enlarged local history space for research and collection development.
- Two new handicapped accessible bathrooms.
- A modern, quiet, self-serve elevator.
- Accessible, energy-efficient entrances.
- New landscaping that includes a patio, an enlarged parking lot, and an improved driveway.
- Renovations in the existing building will improve safety and accessibility.