1899 Ovid’s first library, called the Ovid Free Library, was granted a provisional charter by the Regents of the University of the State of New York.
1905 The Ovid Free Library moved to the historic Mama Bear building, which housed it for sixty years.
1912 The library’s provisional charter was replaced with an absolute charter.
1948 Libbie Kinnan became assistant librarian in 1948 and worked for the library for the rest of her life (through 1961).
1961/62 Our current lovely building was built, and the library’s name was formally changed from Ovid Free Library to Edith B. Ford Memorial Library. Members of the Ovid-Willard Lions Club passed the books in bucket-brigade fashion from Mama Bear to the library’s new home. Hal & Roberta Morris became the librarians in 1961, and remained in that role through 1998.
1998 Eilene Moeri became the library director. She graduated from Rutgers University with a Masters in Library Science and her special interest is in young adult literature.
1999 The library was named the fourth-best small rural library in the U.S. by the American Library Association.
2007-2009 The Library is successful in raising over $300,000 in its “A Place for New Possibilities” Capital Campaign.
2009 Eilene Moeri lost her battle with liver cancer. She will be fondly remembered by the community for her welcoming smile and caring attitude.
2009 Shannon O’Connor became the Library Director. She has a Masters in Reading from Elmira College and specializes in youth educational programming.
2017 Heather Dungey became the librarian. She has a Masters of Library Science from the University of Southern Mississippi.